Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

One Hundred and Seventy-nine

So the other night I had two of our students help me with the unliftable body exercise. I have been using this exercise to increase my ability to project weight underside for years. I always practiced it with my wrists a little in front of my hips and slightly curled. I decided this time to change the exercise slightly in order to make it harder for me to remain grounded as my partners lifted. What I did was have my arms hang straight down along my sides, in line with my hips, wrists held at their natural angle. I then invited my partners to grab my arms with both hands (katate ryote tori) and lower themselves until they were below my center of gravity so they could really use their legs to lift me. As they tried to lift me I could feel them actually rebound away from the force they were exerting. This was a new feeling for me. When practicing this exercise the old way I always felt them sort of just go away.

My next task will be to dynamically change the configuration of my arms so I can experiment with the applied forces in order to better understand how my physical posture relates to correct feeling. I am also going to incorporate continuously alternating from unliftable to liftable and back again in varying degrees, something I can do now, to see how the position of my arms affects that ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment