Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

One Hundred and Eighty-nine

"To me the problem of a notion of a theory of everything is that it implies we will eventually know everything there is to know," said Marcelo Gleiser, a physicist at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire. "For me physics is a work in progress."

As our knowledge of physics grows like an island, he said, so too will the "shores of ignorance increase." Thus there will always be more to know, bigger questions, greater areas of uncertainty.

From - Is there anything to the 'Theory of Everything'?  - By Clara Moskowitz, posted on msnbc 3/9/2011.

Aikido is like physics in that it's still a work in progress. As Aikido ages and evolves, like the island of physics, so too will the shores of Aikido's applicability continue to expand, offering new realms of exploration to the practitioner.

As I continue to practice and learn, I question my execution of technique, question my ability to form connections with my partners, question the nature of Ki and how it manages to manifest when my mind and body are coordinated, question..., question..., question... As my knowledge becomes deeper Aikido presents me with ever more complex questions and thus, while I continue to seek it, I feel mastery will for ever elude my grasp. To fully master Aikido I should have to directly experience 'now' fully coordinated in mind, body and spirit. This, however, is impossible by definition. And this is as it should be. How dreadfully dull would continued practice be were I to attain full mastery of this art.

So it's with great joy that I know I have a full lifetime ahead of me in which to uncover the treasures that Aikido training has in store for me. And that each treasure I unlock will invariably provide not just an answer but another question as well. My quest continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment