Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Two Hundred and Forty-four

'When walking in the river, if you think “cold,” it feels much colder. If you think “hot”… it is still very cold! So, eventually, I found out the best way to walk in the river. Don't think “cold.” Don't think “hot.” Just walk. I understand this idea from this experience, not from words.' (emphasis added) - Shuji Maruyama Sensei

With much thanks to Sensei for teaching me this early on; I understand Aikido from experiencing it. Whether practicing Ki exercises, waza or weapons, understanding comes from the experience of doing. I train and I find what works and what doesn't. I leave behind what doesn't work and make what does work part of me. While training I don't think "right", I don't think "wrong". I just train and experience how I feel.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the wise quote of Maruyama Sensei and your simple truth, simple but thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carina. It's good to hear from you. Hope you have a happy and prosperous New Year.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Ron, I hope you and Mary did too, I registered now in E-budo, and am very happy to be there, it is a small Forum where Respect is the main point, would recommend it to everyone of the nice people I met in Aikiweb .

    ReplyDelete