Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

One Hundred and Eighty-six

Me, a blank canvas, a few brushes, a pallet and some tubes of oil paint. That's it. There are times when I'll go in with an idea that I want to render; other times I'll just start with a sky and follow where the painting leads me. Even when I have an idea to begin with the end result always looks substantially different. I have found that the needs of the work cannot be ignored. The painting always grows out of my interaction with my materials; but at the same time calls me to move in a certain direction. A painting is always more than the sum of its parts.

Me, a partner and a mat surface. That's it. There are times when we practice a prearranged routine employing a specific technique; other times we'll start with an attack and see what unfolds. Even when we our practice is prearranged the end result is always a unique rendering of our motion in time and space. I have found that the logic of our combined movement cannot be ignored. The technique grows out of our movement; but at the same time calls to us to move in such a way as to assure its appearance. Aikido is always more than the sum of its parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment