Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Eight

Via the proper application of Aikido principles; from conflict is born something beautiful to watch, from conflict is born reconciliation and mutual understanding, from conflict is born a synergy of opposing viewpoints, from conflict is born resultant harmony. Aikido is the engine of creation that takes the raw material of conflict and transforms it.

If I defeat an opponent he continues as my opponent with the insult of injury added to his beef with me. In the long run this is counter productive. Better I should find a way to convince him that from me there is nothing to fear and his need to act on his fear is unnecessary. Conflict is, at it's root, all about fear and where there is no fear there is no danger.

Aikido is not the art to study if my primary interest is learning physical self-defense techniques that I can use to overcome adversaries. What I do learn from the study of Aikido is that I carry my enemies within me all the time. My enemies are my fears, those feelings that make me dangerous and so someone who engenders fear in others. The offspring of mated fears is conflict.

Aikido training helps me to purge myself of my fear. And if I can become fearless then I will be of no danger to anyone. If I'm not dangerous no one will fear me or what I do and hence will have no reason to enter into conflict with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment