Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Nineteen

I don't observe the attack, I become the attacker and see myself through the attacker's eyes.

The center of conflict is the focal point of any attack. If the attacker can occupy this point she will more than likely control all aspects of the conflict. That is why, as nage, I always seek to occupy the center of the conflict. In this way I can see the situation from any point of view that I wish. When I link myself to the center of conflict I become one with uke and so merge attack and defense into one entity thereby neutralizing the intended harm. There are many phrases used in Aikido instruction to illustrate this point: lead uke's mind, lead the attack, harmonize with uke, redirect uke's energy etc.

For this to be effective I must willingly abandon thoughts of defending myself and simply immerse myself in the flow of the action. It is only then that I will be able to achieve the unification of the opposing forces that form the nucleus of the conflict, and bring forth a new frictionless unity of purpose. Attack and defense disappear and resolution without decision emerges.

No comments:

Post a Comment