Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Twenty-six

Interpreting my sensory input I create the universe but it's physical only and who can believe that it's all there is?

The universe is vast beyond my comprehension. And yet, in a sense, I create the very universe that I can't begin to comprehend. The universe I experience is a result of my interpretation of what my senses gather. The interpretation in turn is affected by who I am and what I have learned over the years. Beneath it all lies the question: is there an underlying ‘real' reality?

You and I can look at the same apple and agree it is red. But when pressed for details we will not agree precisely on the ‘redness' of the red. We are both approximating the color red based on the limitation of our visual acuity. Who's right? Is there a real red beyond our field of vision? Does it matter?

Aikido is like the apple. I create my Aikido from sensory input provided by my partner when he attacks me. All that I have learned about Aikido plus how I view the universe and my place in it will aid me in interpreting that input, from which will arise technique of a certain form. You will go through the same process and the form of your technique will be slightly different from mine. Can it ever be otherwise? Whose technique is right? Is there a ‘real' Aikido that lies beyond our ability to perceive it? Does it matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment