Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fifty-eight

Power is seductive.

To paraphrase what someone once posted in the forums; who in their right mind would refuse the power of Superman? Is Aikido then all about the acquisition of power? Is attaining power an end in itself? Is that why I train? And having attained power what then do I do with it? Is continued training simply an effort to constantly increase my power? What's the point?

When the acquisition of power becomes my primary objective of studying Aikido I have lost my way. The seductive nature of power is based on a false premise; the premise being that power is a measure of worth. Worth as a person, worth as an authority, worth as a provider and protector, worth as a martial artist, the worth of my training methodology; these things are not simply a matter of determining the magnitude of my power.

Power simply is.

Power is seductive.

No comments:

Post a Comment