Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fifty-six

Uke attacks with a right handed shomen. I evade his strike and with my right hand resting lightly on his right arm, my left hand lightly on his lower back, move behind him.

We have choices. He can turn to his right and come find me; he can turn to his left and come find me; he can step straight back and come find me; he can continue forward and choose to leave me be. I can try to force him to turn to his right by pulling on his arm and shoulder as I continue to turn or I can suggest he turn to his right by making it seem the most logical and safest way for him to move. However, once he has chosen a direction I will encourage him to continue along his selected course. Once we are moving in concert the technique will happen of its own accord; will feel and look effortless.

For me Aikido isn't about controlling uke and bending him to my will. I practice to make each encounter agenda free and seek to control only myself. My relation to uke is all about suggestion and encouragement. I suggest and then encourage him to pursue whatever choice he makes regarding my suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment