Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fifty-one

I don't want uke to obey me; I want him to be me.

Many thanks to Mary E. for introducing me to the following exercise.

Have your partner stand in natural stance with his left hand extended. Lightly, very lightly, grasp his wrist with the fingers of your left ( finger tips only) hand and put your right hand on his upper back (again, finger tips only). Do nothing. Wait. Extend Ki to your partner into his back at your right hand into his wrist at your left hand. Do nothing. Wait. Focus your intent on having your partner accompany you. Do nothing. Wait. Imagine both of you beginning to move in the direction his extended left hand is pointing. Do nothing. Wait. When you feel your partner begin to move use only your Ki to encourage him to continue. Follow his lead as you lead him in the direction he wants to go.

This exercise requires patience. Leave your expectations "at the door" and just let it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment