Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fifty-three

Lead with a lure or lead with bait.

There are times when uke attacks with a grab and I'll want him to get this close but no closer so I'll lead with a lure. Other times I want him to establish a firm grasp so I'll lead with bait and let him take the hook.

When luring uke it is necessary for me to move myself in such a way that the intended target seems to remain stationary while the rest of my body evades his attack. The stationary target is, however, just an illusion; the fact is that the target stays just beyond his reach. It seems stationary because it moves only a small distance compared to the rest of me.

When baiting uke I'll let him grab the target and let him assume that he has immobilized me; all the while moving myself off his line of attack. For instance, I can let him grab katate tori while I execute tenkan in such a way that my wrist and hand remain aligned with my center even though the wrist is solidly held by uke. I can execute irimi in the same fashion.

When dealing with strikes baiting is perhaps not the best choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment